Finance & Personnel Office
The Finance Office works interactively with all departments, to assist and provide support services for financial management in all town departments.
A) The Finance Office will administer the financial resources of the Town in a safe, fair, accurate and professional manner and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, and generally accepted accounting principals.
B) The Finance Office will provide timely and reliable information by which the Town Administrator, Department Heads, Budget Committee, and ultimately the Board of Selectmen can make informed decisions that are in the best interest of the Town.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE FINANCE OFFICE:
- Assist the Town Administrator and department heads with budget development
- Preparation of state form MS2 (Report of Voted Appropriations) and MS4 (Revised Revenues) used for tax rate setting, and the MS7 (Budget of the Town with a Municipal Budget Committee for prior year and current year proposed)
- Preparation of monthly budget reports for Board of Selectmen, Department Heads, Budget Committee, and/or anyone expressing an interest or need in the Town's financial performance and health.
- Assist independent auditors with the preparation of annual financial statement
- Process purchase orders, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
- Cash management
- Investment oversight
- Negotiate loans (Tax Anticipation Notes, Bonds and Bond Anticipation Notes) for borrowing of monies
- Oversight of the General Fund and Special Revenue Funds
- Provide financial oversight of the Sewer Enterprise Fund
- Bookkeeping support for Library Trustees
- Cooperative interaction regarding items of mutual interest between the Town and the Trustees of Trust Funds
- Benefits administration
- Risk management
- Provide fiscal year-end audited financial statements
- local welfare
BUDGET CYCLE, PREPARTION AND SUBMISSION TIME LINE:
The Town of Goffstown is a Municipal Budget Act (RSA 32) community and follows an SB2 form of government. The town operates on January 1st through December 31st budget cycle. The budget preparation is as follows:
- JUNE - Department Heads begin to prepare their proposed budget for the following calendar year.
- AUGUST - Proposed department budgets are submitted to Administration and Finance.
- SEPTEMBER - Proposed department budgets are distributed to the Board of Selectmen and Budget Committee. Selectmen begin their budget reviews with Department Heads.
- NOVEMBER - Selectmen make their budget recommendations to the Budget Committee.
- JANUARY - Public hearing on proposed budget and all appropriation warrant articles. Posting of warrant and MS7.
- FEBRUARY - Deliberative session of town meeting.
- MARCH - Elections and voting by ballot on town warrant.
The Finance Office is staffed by:
(1) Finance Director/Treasurer/full-time (reports to the Town Administrator)
(1) Accountant/Welfare Officer/full-time (reports to the Finance Director)
(2) Bookkeepers/full-time (reports to the Finance Director)
The Finance Director also has some limited financial control and oversight of the Tax Collector's Office consisting of:
(1) Tax Collector/full-time
Melanson Heath & Company, P.C.
102 Perimeter Road
Nashua, New Hampshire 03063-1301