The Town of Goffstown was incorporated on June 17, 1761 and is named for Colonel John Goffe, an early settler, soldier and civic leader. Goffstown was originally a farming community. The first settlers in the 1700s found the area magnificently forested with hardwood on the hill and unexcelled stands of white pine on the "pine plains", which extended along Mast Road. This area was so named for the many pine trees suitable for ship masts which were cut and hauled to the Merrimack River for use by the Royal British Navy.